Homecoming Events Cancelled

Cameron Headley, Reporter

Alpena High School students will be missing out on the first event they look forward to this year with the cancellation of Homecoming. Included in the cancellation are the Hall of Fame induction, pep assembly, the parade, and the dance itself. 

The dance, on average, has around 600 students, which exceeds the public safety measures put into place, being set 250 people for indoor gatherings. Alpena High School principal, Thomas Berriman, spoke on this matter. “The decision to cancel really came down to maintaining the integrity of our groups,” Berriman said. “Given the recent outbreak of cases in Alpena tied to those who attend large gatherings our decision was further validated.” 

An Alpena High senior, David McGovern, has also chosen to speak on the cancellation. The student commented that the cancellation is unfortunate, because the students like to have fun at the dance with their friends. 

While the homecoming dance is still cancelled, students will still be able to participate in spirit week, as well as the Homecoming King and Queen announcement and the Homecoming game on Oct. 2, with limited spectators. There is  hope that large events, such as prom, will still be held in the spring, given the guidelines and regulations will be adjusted as we reach farther into this school year.