How Drug Abuse Affects High Schoolers Today

Lacey Talaska, Reporter

Did you know it takes 25 years until your brain is fully developed? Drug abuse can prevent your brain from fully developing. 

The brain relies on chemicals called neurotransmitters that get messages from one part of the brain to the other. Every neurotransmitter has a receptor which is what allows the message to travel through the brain correctly. Chemicals in drugs can fool the receptors and alter the activity of the nerve cells. This can end up making the messages head in the wrong direction, and reassess the way the brain should work. This affects the way the brain retains information, thinks, remembers, learns, and concentrates. 

There is a connection between drug abuse and how well students do in school. Teens who use drugs are more likely to have lower grades, more absences, and an increased potential of dropping out of school. Even though there are some teens who still do well in school when using drugs, most are not consistent with their grades. 

Marijuana is one of the most common drugs that teens use. Studies have shown that it affects attention, memory, and ability to learn. The effects can last for a few days. Students that use marijuana tend to have low grades and an increased chance of dropping out of school. It can also lower IQ down 8 points by the time teens reach adulthood.

Teens who use drugs or alcohol are more likely to do poorly or leave school, never graduate or go to college and proceed to use these substances the rest of their lives. So, if you plan on having a good education or job, you may not want to abuse drugs or alcohol, especially underage!