University of Findlay Researchers Discover New Drug To Treat Brain Cancer

Mia Couture, Reporter

Pharmacy students at University of Findlay are currently working on a new groundbreaking treatment for one of the most deadly types of brain cancer. Glioblastoma is the most aggressive cancer that forms in the brain or on the spinal cord, and it is nearly impossible to remove. The 5- year survival rate for this type of cancer is less than 10 percent. The students found the drug molecule, chalcone, in the food curry. Yes, the spicy food you enjoy may have the cure for brain cancer in it.

The most major breakthrough with this drug is that it targets the cancer cells and leaves the healthy brain tissue alone.”Selectivity is the holy grail of cancer therapy because we know that chemotherapy has a lot of side effects. So how do we achieve that selectivity where our compounds can only kill brain cancer, glioblastoma, and spare the normal brain?” said Dr. Khupse. 

The next step for the drug is to start animal trials, then to clinical trials for humans before it gets approved by the FDA. For a new drug to get from the lab to the patient, it usually takes 10 to 15 years, and the team at the University are currently on year two. So, potentially by the year 2028, there could be a cure for glioblastoma.