Make it Orange and Make it End. Unite Against Bullying!

Aliccia Carroll, Reporter

10/8/20

Every October, schools and organizations across the country participate in an event called Unity Day. It was started by PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center, in respect for National Bullying Prevention Month. The goal is to encourage schools, communities and organizations to work together to stop bullying and cyberbullying and put an end to hatred and racism by increasing awareness of the impacts bullying has on children of all ages. There are three B’s of bullying: the bullier, the bullied and the bystander. Just because you have never been bullied doesn’t mean you haven’t bullied or haven’t witnessed it happening to someone else. 70% of students have admitted to seeing another student get bullied, most of which did nothing about it. If you or someone you know is getting bullied, don’t be scared to reach out for help from a family member or even a trusted staff member of the school district.  Unity day is on October 21st; however, Alpena High school is even having a wear orange to school day to symbolize bullying prevention on Oct.22 and 23 as part of our spirit month. The call to action was to “Make it Orange and Make it End. Unite Against Bullying!” Participants are encouraged to wear orange to show their support and help raise awareness and put an end to bullying.