Marching forward

Photo Credit: Aliccia Carroll

Photo Credit: Aliccia Carroll

Aliccia Carroll, Reporter

10/13/20

The CoronaVirus hasn’t stopped Alpena High School from showing their wildcat spirit! The marching band continues to march as football games fill the fall evenings. The members of our band have been safely distant and have been preparing for performances. Each student is spaced six feet apart and are given a special instrument cover to stop the spread of germs. They have been working hard and are supposed to start playing at football games again soon. Band student, Olivia Burdine, stated, “I feel that they are doing what they can to continue the band program and are making small, but appropriate changes to ensure safety for us students playing.” After getting in touch with the band instructor, Micheal Gozzard, he mentioned how once football season is over, they will transition into Concert and Festival season, solely focusing on music performance. The program has consistently earned some of the highest honors at the district and state level. The AHS Wind Ensemble was selected to perform at the 2021 Michigan Music Conference in Grand Rapids at Devos Performance Hall. This is the highest honor in the state for a band, orchestra, or choir. The invitation was just recently extended to 2022, due to the conference being virtual this January. Our district has been working hard to make sure that students can perform safely and to the best of their ability. We look forward to seeing people attend the games and don’t forget to cheer along with the marching band.