Girl’s Golf at Riversedge

Faith Pausits, Editor

The Girl’s Golf team played a great round at the Riversedge Golf Course on September 13th against other participating golf teams.

The Lady Wildcats came in second all together on the Varsity team, coming behind Traverse City West. Lizzy Heath got a 85, which lead the Wildcat’s Varsity scores. Close behind was Courtney Nunneley, who got a 90. Lizzy beat Courtney by only 5 points. This feeds the friendly rivalry between the two players that not only our home team, but also competing teams, love to feed.

Close behind them in Varsity were Maddie Parr, Marissa Centala, Brynna Smith, and Tatum Moran. The Varsity team placed second overall. In the Junior Varsity team, Faith Pausits lead with a 134. She also medaled in top 5 Junior Varsity. The Junior Varsity team got third overall.

The team’s Coach, Mr. Mike Nunneley, had told sources that the initial team goal was to beat Traverse City, however, due to them having an insanely good player on their side, who not only can crush course records, but also improve each year. The new goal for the team is to simply not come in last place.

They have so far not come in last place in the season once. However, they have tied for last once. The team hopes to continue having a good golfing streak and to beat every other team then Traverse City West. The team has growing talents, promises, and is giving other teams a run for their money.

Coming far in only two years of having the program back at Alpena High School, other teams did not know what to expect from Alpena. This year, the team has made a name for themselves and will be coming back next year, eager to continue proving themselves. There are three seniors on the team whose skills will be missed. However, they have been teaching newer players what they have learned.

Girl’s Golf at Riversedge